Newscricket Newst20 World Cup Row: 'would Jeopardise Sanctity'…
| January 21, 2026 | 3 min read
NewsSports NewsCricket NewsT20 World Cup row: 'Would jeopardise sanctity' – What ICC stated in rejecting Bangladesh's venue change requestTrendingSanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20ISanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20ISanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20IT20 World Cup row: 'Would jeopardise sanctity' – What ICC stated in rejecting Bangladesh's venue change requestTOI Sports Desk / TIMESOFINDIA.COM / Jan 22, 2026, 05:00 ISTCommentsShareAA+Text SizeSmallMediumLarge The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday turned down the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s (BCB) request to move Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup matches from India to Sri Lanka, stating that the fixtures is expected to go ahead as scheduled as there is no credible threat to the safety of Bangladesh players, officials or fans at any venue in India.The decision was taken during an ICC Board meeting held via video conference, which was called after the BCB raised concerns and formally sought a venue change for its matches.What ICC said"The ICC Board noted that relocating matches under the present circumstances could jeopardise the sanctity of ICC events and undermine the organisation's neutrality as a global governing body," the ICC stated in a statement.The ICC stated the Board examined several security assessments, including independent evaluations, all of which concluded that there was no credible threat to Bangladesh players.14 of the 16 Board members voted against the BCB’s request to relocate the matches, news agency PTI reported, quoting sources. The ICC has now given the BCB one more day to review its position and communicate a final decision."Of all the members, only BCB and Pakistan voted in favour of the relocation request while all other voted against it.
Doing so would carry significant logistical and scheduling consequences for other teams and fans worldwide, and would also create far-reaching precedent-related challenges that risk undermining the neutrality, fairness, and integrity of ICC governance," ICC spokesperson stated in a statement.as per the ICC, its management has now held multiple meetings and exchanged correspondence with the BCB over recent weeks, sharing detailed information on security arrangements for the tournament.These discussions included venue-specific security plans and assurances of protection involving both federal and state law enforcement agencies.An ICC spokesperson stated the governing body had been engaged in "sustained and constructive dialogue" with the BCB to ensure Bangladesh’s participation in the event."Independent security assessments, comprehensive venue-level security plans and formal assurances from host authorities consistently concluded that there is no credible or verifiable threat to the safety or security of the Bangladesh team in India," the spokesperson said.The ICC, however, stated it was concerned that the BCB continued to link its participation to what it described as a "single, isolated and unrelated development" involving one of its players’ involvement in a domestic league, which the ICC stated had no connection to the tournament’s security framework.The Board reiterated that decisions related to venues and scheduling are based on threat assessments, host assurances and agreed participation terms, which apply equally to all 20 teams in the tournament."In the absence of any independent security findings that materially compromise safety, the ICC is unable to relocate fixtures. Bangladesh was given time till January 21 to confirm its participation but they have been given one more day by the ICC Board to state their position," an ICC source was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.The ICC also stated that changing the schedule at this stage was not possible and that altering fixtures without a verified security risk could set what it called an "undesirable precedent" for future global tournaments."In the absence of any independent security findings that materially compromise the safety of the Bangladesh team, the ICC is unable to relocate fixtures.
Key Development 1
NewsSports NewsCricket NewsT20 World Cup row: 'Would jeopardise sanctity' – What ICC stated in rejecting Bangladesh's venue change requestTrendingSanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20ISanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20ISanju SamsonGautam GambhirIND vs NZ HighlightsHarry BrookDonald TrumpSachin TendulkarAbhishek SharmaBangladesh Cricket TeamT20 World Cup 2026IND vs NZ 1st T20IT20 World Cup row: 'Would jeopardise sanctity' – What ICC stated in rejecting Bangladesh's venue change requestTOI Sports Desk / TIMESOFINDIA.COM / Jan 22, 2026, 05:00 ISTCommentsShareAA+Text SizeSmallMediumLarge The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday turned down the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s (BCB) request to move Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup matches from India to Sri Lanka, stating that the fixtures is expected to go ahead as scheduled as there is no credible threat to the safety of Bangladesh players, officials or fans at any venue in India.The decision was taken during an ICC Board meeting held via video conference, which was called after the BCB raised concerns and formally sought a venue change for its matches.What ICC said"The ICC Board noted that relocating matches under the present circumstances could jeopardise the sanctity of ICC events and undermine the organisation's neutrality as a global governing body," the ICC stated in a statement.The ICC stated the Board examined several security assessments, including independent evaluations, all of which concluded that there was no credible threat to Bangladesh players.14 of the 16 Board members voted against the BCB’s request to relocate the matches, news agency PTI reported, quoting sources.
The ICC has now given the BCB one more day to review its position and communicate a final decision."Of all the members, only BCB and Pakistan voted in favour of the relocation request while all other voted against it.
Doing so would carry significant logistical and scheduling consequences for other teams and fans worldwide, and would also create far-reaching precedent-related challenges that risk undermining the neutrality, fairness, and integrity of ICC governance," ICC spokesperson stated in a statement.as per the ICC, its management has now held multiple meetings and exchanged correspondence with the BCB over recent weeks, sharing detailed information on security arrangements for the tournament.These discussions included venue-specific security plans and assurances of protection involving both federal and state law enforcement agencies.An ICC spokesperson stated the governing body had been engaged in "sustained and constructive dialogue" with the BCB to ensure Bangladesh’s participation in the event."Independent security assessments, comprehensive venue-level security plans and formal assurances from host authorities consistently concluded that there is no credible or verifiable threat to the safety or security of the Bangladesh team in India," the spokesperson said.The ICC, however, stated it was concerned that the BCB continued to link its participation to what it described as a "single, isolated and unrelated development" involving one of its players’ involvement in a domestic league, which the ICC stated had no connection to the tournament’s security framework.The Board reiterated that decisions related to venues and scheduling are based on threat assessments, host assurances and agreed participation terms, which apply equally to all 20 teams in the tournament."In the absence of any independent security findings that materially compromise safety, the ICC is unable to relocate fixtures.
Bangladesh was given time till January 21 to confirm its participation but they have been given one more day by the ICC Board to state their position," an ICC source was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.The ICC also stated that changing the schedule at this stage was not possible and that altering fixtures without a verified security risk could set what it called an "undesirable precedent" for future global tournaments."In the absence of any independent security findings that materially compromise the safety of the Bangladesh team, the ICC is unable to relocate fixtures.
Key Development 2
Tamim has now stated that decisions taken now could have consequences a decade laterGet the latest WPL 2026 updates including WPL teams, full WPL 2026 schedule, and live scores for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bengaluru, UP Warriorz, Gujarat Giants, and Delhi Capitals.
Doing so would carry significant logistical and scheduling consequences for other teams and fans worldwide, and would also create far-reaching precedent-related challenges that risk undermining the neutrality, fairness, and integrity of ICC governance," the spokesperson said.On Tuesday, Bangladesh government’s sports adviser Asif Nazrul reiterated that the national team would not travel to India under any circumstances.If Bangladesh decides to withdraw from the tournament, Scotland is likely to replace them based on current rankings.The dispute began after Bangladesh fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman was removed from Kolkata Knight Riders’ squad for the upcoming Indian Premier League following instructions from the BCCI, citing unspecified "developments all around".Citing "security concerns", the BCB then made public that the Bangladesh team would not travel to India for its group-stage matches in Kolkata and Mumbai.The BCB has now sought to play all four of its group matches in Sri Lanka, where the India–Pakistan match is expected to also be held under an agreed ICC arrangement in place until 2027.Bangladesh are placed in Group C alongside West Indies, Italy, England and Nepal.During its last meeting with ICC officials in Dhaka, the BCB proposed swapping places with Ireland in Group B, which includes co-hosts Sri Lanka, Australia, Oman and Zimbabwe.Such a change would allow Bangladesh to remain based in Sri Lanka for all its group-stage matches.Relations between India and Bangladesh have worsened in recent months, with tensions rising following the killings of Hindus in Bangladesh.Former Bangladesh captain Tamim Iqbal and current Test captain Najmul Hossain Shanto have both urged caution on the issue.
Also check the latest WPL Orange Cap and Purple Cap standings.About the AuthorTOI Sports DeskAt TOI Sports Desk, reporters work around the clock to bring you comprehensive updates from the world of sports.
Expect nuanced match reports, previews, and reviews, along with statistics-based technical analysis, the latest social media trends, and expert insights across cricket, football, tennis, badminton, hockey, motorsports, wrestling, boxing, shooting, athletics, and more.Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaTop Sports NewsWPL 2026WPL 2026 ScheduleT20 World Cup Schedule 2026WPL Points Table 2026WPL TeamsWPL ResultsTop TrendingMatthew StaffordTravis KelceDonald Trump PlaneUdaipur Car AccidentJonathan KumingaCandace OwensDonna KelceJohn Harbaughs WifeKlay ThompsonsAshwini VaishnawTired of too many ads?go ad free nowTrending StoriesIn SportsEntire Website'We needed someone…': Rohit explains why Iyer missed T20 World CupAbhishek's fireworks power India to commanding T20I win over New ZealandBangladesh face T20 WC exit: ICC rejects venue shift request; votes to replace teamWhen 'blood spread at crease' and Ganguly used all 11 players as bowlers in Test'Pata nahi kab khelne ko milega': Samson breaks silence on missed chances – Watch19 innings, no fifty: Is 'lap shot' behind SKY’s lean patch?
Key Development 3
Ex-cricketer decodesPakistan offers to host Bangladesh's T20 WC matches amid standoff with IndiaMitchell dethrones Kohli to claim No.1 ODI ranking; Rohit slips to fourthFrom junior ranks to big dreams: Sanskar Saraswat, Arsh Mohammad chase the big stageTrump shadow over FIFA WC: is expected to France boycott event over Greenland row?John Harbaugh’s wife Ingrid turns heads during Giants’ headline-making entranceMLB trade rumors: New York Mets might acquire $10 million Philadelphia Phillies star to bolster team before deadline“Virtually banned everywhere”: Sneako reportedly banned from US hospitality groups after anti-Semitism allegations surface‘Hangman’ Adam Page and Amanda Woltz combined net worth: AEW earnings, career growth, and lifestyleJeanie Buss’ intense beef with LeBron James reportedly escalated enough for Los Angeles Lakers to weigh bombshell rival-team trade“I need help fixing”: Podcaster Brent Wallace extends support to Linus Ullmark after he opens up about his mental healthLeBron James’ “outsized ego” reportedly became a quiet issue for Jeanie Buss: Inside ESPN’s reportStableRonaldo bans law firm account after viewers flag suspicious clips of FaZe house damageDodgers pitcher Alex Vesia and wife Kayla share emotional sunset post after heartbreaking loss of newborn daughterNico Hoerner net worth timeline (2016–2026): A decade of progress on and off the fieldTired of too many ads?go ad free now
“Virtually banned everywhere”
What are your thoughts on this development? Share your opinion in the comments.